Backstage at the Norton Center with Darrin Vincent
The Norton Center sat down with Darrin Vincent, guitar, mandolin and harmony vocals for bluegrass duo Dailey & Vincent, and had him answer the 10 questions we ask everyone…
1. VERY FEW PEOPLE KNOW THAT I… Have a difficult time talking to the audience, trying to come up with something clever to say, and important and informative. I shy away from talking but I’m getting better. Jamie and my wife Julie are about the only 2 who know I struggle with this and want to try and do better. Until NOW!!!
2. WHEN I’M NOT ON TOUR I… Enjoy being a home body, a husband, and a father.
3. WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT MY ART IS… The purity and simplicity of acoustic music and it being America’s roots. Bluegrass has a big heritage starting with the Father Bill Monroe. Mr. Monroe is a member of the Song writers Hall of Fame, Bluegrass Hall of Fame, Country Music Hall of Fame and Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, Bluegrass has influenced many different types of music.
5. I DEFINE ART AS: God given natural talent you spend years crafting and trying to achieve the highest standard in its presentation.
6. MY MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT IN SHOW BUSINESS THUS FAR WAS: Performing as Dailey & Vincent on the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman Auditorium December 29, 2007 our first paid show date, I had performed there for over a decade, but walking out on that stage representing Bluegrass and the Opry was overwhelming. I thank the Lord every day for that opportunity
7. THE PERSON WHO MOST INFLUENCED ME IS: My father, I have along heritage of music in the Vincent family tree dating back 3 or 4 generations.
8. IF I COULD BE ON STAGE WITH ANYONE, PAST OR PRESENT, ALIVE OR DECEASED, FICTIONAL OR REAL, IT WOULD BE: Peter Cetera, I’ve grown up listening to him sing with Chicago, I want to meet him and I hope to record a CD with him.
9. WHILE TOURING, ONE OF MY GUILTY PLEASURES IS: Desserts!! I love Chocolate Ice Cream, or Cookies, pie, etc. Most of the caterings have one of these I don’t eat as much of at home!!
10. IF I COULD ENSURE THAT THE AUDIENCE TAKES HOME ONE THING AFTER MY PERFORMANCE, IT WOULD BE: Joy. We do our best to entertain the audiences each night, my goal is to make them feel better, and put a song of joy deep in their heart that makes them want to come back and see us again, and again. If we can achieve that, then we’ve don our job, and it brings joy to my soul knowing we’ve made you happy.
More about the artist:
Darrin Vincent (mandolin, bass, guitar, lead and harmony vocals) started singing at age three and playing music at age six as part of his family band, The Sally Mountain Show, along with sister Rhonda Vincent. As a member of Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder for the past ten years, Darrin has won five Grammy Awards (Ancient Tones, Soldier of the Cross, “A Simple Life,” Brand New Strings, Instrumentals) and eight IBMA Awards for Instrumental Group of the Year. He also performed on Grammy-winning albums by Dolly Parton (The Grass is Blue) and Jimmy Sturr (Top of the World.) He has performed and recorded with a multitude of other artists including Nora Jones, Emmylou Harris, Earl Scruggs, Bruce Hornsby, Vince Gill, John Hartford and Keith Urban. Darrin earned three Grammy nominations for co-producing Rhonda Vincent’s One Step Ahead, Ragin’ Live and All American Bluegrass Girl. His other production credits include Susie Luchsinger’s Dove Award-nominated Count It All Joy, The Cherryholmes’ Bluegrass Vagabonds, and Hunter Berry’s IBMA-nominated Wow Baby.