Backstage at the Norton Center with Cloris Leachman
The Norton Center sat down with Cloris Leachman, star of Cloris: A One-Woman Show, and had her answer the 10 questions we ask everyone…
1. VERY FEW PEOPLE KNOW THAT I’M… OLD…Not Wearing Underwear… a Ghost… Sleeping with Hilary Clinton.
2. WHEN I’M NOT ON TOUR I…drink a lot. Sleep.
3. WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT MY ART IS… the free food. The love scenes. The money. The groupies.
4. A LIFE LESSON I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH CENTRE COLLEGE STUDENTS IS: Get famous. It makes life so much easier.
5. I DEFINE ART AS: The only carney I never had sex with.
6. MY MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT IN SHOW BUSINESS THUS FAR WAS: The day I lost my memory.
7. THE PERSON WHO MOST INFLUENCED ME IS: My mother, of course.
8. IF I COULD BE ON STAGE WITH ANYONE, PAST OR PRESENT, ALIVE OR DECEASED, FICTIONAL OR REAL, IT WOULD BE: Just me doing a one woman show. I don’t like to share the spotlight.
9. WHILE TOURING, ONE OF MY GUILTY PLEASURES IS: Stealing shampoo from hotels. Watching Jersey Shore while eating spoonfuls of whipped cream.
10. IF I COULD ENSURE THAT THE AUDIENCE TAKES HOME ONE THING AFTER MY PERFORMANCE, IT WOULD BE: My book that I sell. I have a family to support.
More about the artist:
Cloris Leachman is a celebrated American actress of stage, film and television. She has won nine Emmy® Awards – more than any other female performer – including one Daytime Emmy® Award, a Golden Globe®, a BAFTA and numerous other awards. She also earned an Academy Award® for Best Supporting Actress in 1971 for her role as “Ruth Popper” in “The Last Picture Show.” Most recently, she was nominated for an Emmy® Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her work on RAISING HOPE. Leachman is best known for playing the nosy, self‐centered and manipulative landlady “Phyllis Lindstrom” on “Mary Tyler Moore” and later on the spin‐off series “Phyllis.” Her additional film credits include the Mel Brooks films “Young Frankenstein” and “High Anxiety,” as well as “American Cowslip,” “Ponyo,” “Inglorious Basterds,” “New York, I Love You,” “Expecting Mary” and the upcoming “The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure” and “The Fields.” She became popular in recent years for her recurring role on the hit FOX series “Malcolm in the Middle” and appearances on “The Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget,” “Love Takes Wings,” “The Office,” “Phineas and Ferb” and “HawthoRNe.”
The 85‐year‐old Leachman competed on “Dancing with the Stars” in 2008 and served as Grand Marshal of the 2009 New Year’s Tournament of Roses Parade and Rose Bowl Game in Pasadena, CA, where she presided over the 120th annual parade and the 95th Rose Bowl football game. In March 2010, Leachman became a published author with the release of her bestselling memoir, “Cloris: My Autobiography.” Cloris Leachman currently resides in Los Angeles.